Tuesday 11 December 2012

New Lodge :: Billericay Town FC






Sunset at the 'Ricay!




Date: Saturday 8th December 2012
Venue: New Lodge, Billericay
Full Time: Billericay Town 2-0 Bath City
Competition: Blue Square Bet South

My Matchday: 20
Attendance: 388


Mugshot in Billericay


Bath City failed to take a big stride towards the play-off places after a disheartening 2-0 defeat to Billericay Town at New Lodge.

Who the hell are they do you ask? Well I can agree with you on that part, not even Pam and Mick could inspire us! (Only a select few will understand that). It was game 20 of the season for me and into December! I’d been looking forward to my trip to Billericay for a while now and the day had finally arrived. I woke up at 7.30 to the sound of my alarm, which was overly loud and luckily did not wake anybody else up. I got dressed, had my shower and then went down stairs to pack my bad for the day. I made some sandwiches and packed them along with some snacks. I packed my scarf and gloves as well as my camera for once! I had to print of some things for people so had to venture down to my nans to print them off and eventually made my way down to Twerton Park at  0845. I got down in good time so went into the local co-op and picked up a bag of cookies and a paper for the journey and made my way to the car park. The coach came on time as ever at 0930.

I assumed my normal position on the coach, on the left hand side, second row back as I always do so I can talk to Andy, Kev and Cheryl as Ashley was taking an exam so was not with us. The trip was a tad longer than usual today as we had to go along the M4 then northbound on the M25 before coming off towards Brentwood and Billericay. The trip was fairly boring and I plugged myself in and listened to some music. We stopped at some random M25 services that I’ve never been to before. I picked myself up some sea salt crisps from the waitrose and made my way back to the coach.

We arrived in Billericay at 1330 and walked down the country roads to the entrance. I didn’t hang around too long outside the ground as it was a rather random place, but took a few pictures and parted company with £10, £8 for my ticket and £2 for the worst programme in the country, it was A4 paper stuck together. It wasn’t even in colour! After this disappointment I picked myself up 3 decent programmes from their good club shop for 60p and had a good look around the shop. They sold a variety of things but I was going to buy a pennant but the £5 price put me off. I then walked around the ground and got myself some decent pictures of the ground and I will say it was a tidy little ground, apart from the mud bath on the pitch. I hadn’t had any of my lunch yet so opted to go over to the snack bar and get myself a burger and chips for £3.50 which was very good value. I must say it was my best lunch at a football ground this year. Especially the chips! I then moved over with my lunch in my hand and spoke to Chairwoman Manda about refereeing and also Paul Williams was there. I opted for another walk around and had a sit down taking some scenic pictures of the surrounding areas. It was then time for kick off!


Near end Goal


NEW LODGE is a very tidy little ground, only let down by the playing surface. The ground is located a bit out of bounds but in a lovely countryside setting. As you enter the ground you come to the near end goal. Behind it is a small covered terrace holding about 50 people under its roof. There is plenty more room for others standing outside of this. This is where I stood in the second half of the game. Opposite this is where I stood in the first half of the game. Behind this goal is a similar but smaller covered terrace with a bit less space but gave a cracking view. On the far side touchline was a low rise half terrace, half stand area, which housed 70 people seated and more stood up. Opposite this was the main stand holding about 50 people and also was where the bar and tea bar was located.

Bath City remain just three points outside the Blue Square Bet South play-off places despite crashing to a two-goal defeat in Essex. The visitors were left with the bitter taste of defeat after a game they did not deserve to lose and, for long periods, looked capable of winning.
Early fears that the game may be called off due to frost were soon dispelled by bright sunshine, although it left a pitch that made Lansdown Playing Fields look like Wembley. On an under-prepared, boggy in places and decidedly bumpy surface, it was little surprise that the home side had all the early possession. Billericay, it must be said, play an unsophisticated form of football. Physical and relying on speed and strength, it took City some time to come to terms with both the conditions and the hosts' tactics. The main threat came either from long balls played up to frontman Charlie Taylor or, when that failed, the throw of Paul Rodgers, which at times easily reached the City penalty spot However, after the quarter-hour mark City got much more into their stride and Tom Nicholls went for an ambitious lob with keeper Nathan McDonald only just off his line. Player/coach Jim Rollo returned to a reshuffled visiting side - with changes forced on the City management team through the absence of the ill Aaron Brown and hamstring injury victim Josh Low – and had to produce a diving tackle to halt Anderson after he cut inside from the right. City's best move of the half came on 25 minutes when Noah Keats released the recalled Kerry Morgan on the left and he put in a great cross which saw Charlie Griffin's shot well saved. Chris Allen then went close and Adam Connolly saw a piledriver from about 25 yards cannon off the home defence. However, City did not have it all their own way. Just before the half-hour mark a long-range shot from Sam Lechemere went wide, while Taylor hit the side-netting from Jay May's good pass. It should have served as a warning to City as five minutes before the interval a simple cross from Alex Cerdeira evaded the defence and allowed May to head home.
City played the better football at the start of the second half, despite the surface, with Morgan revelling in the space on the left, together with good support from midfield. On 53 minutes the ball was neatly passed across the field, from Nichols to Griffin and then on to Morgan, whose cross to Griffin was just touched behind at the near post. However, despite being on the defensive for much of the time, Billericay still looked dangerous on the break, with Morgan and Danny Ball leaving room for Junior Luke to exploit. Twice he made good runs, although on both occasions his crosses were well taken by an increasingly confident Jason Mellor. With Griffin clearly tiring on the heavy surface, Sean Canham arrived to replace him and ten minutes later the substitute was involved in probably the turning point of the game. With City increasingly running rampant, Morgan again cut loose down the left flank and put in a perfect cross for the unmarked striker, who could only fire against keeper McDonald. Allen hit an upright just seconds later but after that City's pressure eased. Billericay began to come back into the game and then killed it dead with a goal three minutes from time. Canham conceded two free-kicks in quick succession, the second some 30 yards out on the left of the City goal. The ball came across the area and the otherwise impeccable Mellor called for it but failed to get there, leaving Rob Swaine to head home.

So a perfectly good day in Essex came to an end with us going home empty handed. I enjoyed the game and the trip back was fairly quick going, so we were home by 8.30pm. I will recommend Billericay Town to all groundhoppers but advise you wrap up warm and do not expect a Barcelona like game.
I’ll be at Bournemouth next week (15th December) so look out for a preview and report! Until then!

Far side terracing and stand



Main Stand







To view the rest of the set follow this link :http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151297342308841.492895.649793840&type=3

No comments:

Post a Comment